The magnificent toll of gun violence—which claims 31,000 U.S. lives every one year—is an pressing public overall healthiness factor that calls for an efficient evidence-based coverage response.
The Johns Hopkins collage convened greater than 20 of the world’s top specialists on gun violence and coverage to summarize proper learn and suggest regulations which are either constitutional and feature large public aid. gathered for the 1st time in a single quantity, this trustworthy, empirical examine and criminal research may also help lawmakers, opinion leaders, and anxious voters establish coverage adjustments to handle mass shootings, in addition to the less-publicized gun violence that takes a regular of eighty lives each day.
Selected concepts include:
• history assessments: identify a common history money process for all people procuring a firearm from any vendor.
• High-risk participants: extend the set of stipulations that disqualify someone from legally buying a firearm.
• psychological future health: concentration federal regulations on gun purchases by way of people with critical psychological affliction at the dangerousness of the individual.
• Trafficking and broker licensing: rent an everlasting director to ATF and supply the business enterprise with the authority to strengthen a variety of sanctions for gun buyers who violate gun revenues or different legislation.
• custom-made weapons: supply monetary incentives to states to mandate childproof or custom-made weapons.
• attack guns and high-capacity magazines: Ban the long run sale of attack guns and the long run sale and ownership of large-capacity ammunition magazines.
• study money: supply sufficient federal money to the facilities for illness regulate and Prevention, nationwide Institutes of overall healthiness, and nationwide Institute of Justice for study into the reasons and recommendations of gun violence.
The ebook comprises an research of the constitutionality of many prompt rules and information from a countrywide public opinion ballot that displays help one of the majority of Americans—including gun owners—for more suitable gun policies.
Amid a starting to be consensus that the awesome toll of gun violence within the usa is an pressing public well-being factor, the Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg college of Public future health has convened specialists on gun coverage and violence from the U.S. and chosen different international locations to summarize appropriate study and its implications for policymakers and anxious voters. criminal students weigh in at the constitutionality of suggested rules, and researchers current new info on public help for a wide range of regulations designed to minimize gun violence. accrued for the 1st time in a single quantity, this trustworthy, empirical learn and felony research will tell the coverage debate through assisting lawmakers and opinion leaders determine the coverage alterations which are probably to minimize gun violence within the United States.Researchers draw on new and current stories on U.S. gun rules to illustrate either the weaknesses of present federal gun guidelines and the efficacy of varied nation legislation designed to minimize firearm availability to high-risk teams. through examining medical and criminal facts, the individuals supply proof in aid of stronger law and oversight of authorized gun purchasers, historical past tests for personal revenues, and buyer licensing. classes from bans of attack guns and of large-capacity magazines for weapons are thought of, as is the promise of "smart guns," that could be fired merely through approved clients. Compelling case experiences from Australia, Scotland, and Brazil display powerful coverage responses to gun violence that experience resulted in major discounts in gun-related deaths. The publication concludes with info on public help for strengthening gun legislation and moment modification concerns.
Read or Download Reducing Gun Violence in America: Informing Policy with Evidence and Analysis PDF
Best analysis books
This primary e-book of a 3-volume set on Fracture Mechanics is especially based at the sizeable diversity of the legislation of statistical distributions encountered in a number of clinical and technical fields. those legislation are essential in figuring out the likelihood habit of elements and mechanical buildings which are exploited within the different volumes of this sequence, that are devoted to reliability and qc.
- Nonlinear Smoothing and Multiresolution Analysis
- Funktionentheorie 1: Grundlagen
- Analysis leicht gemacht
- Thomas' Calculus, Early Trascendentals Instructors Solutions Manual
- Analysis für Fachoberschulen: Lösungsheft (gültig ab 6. Auflage 2003)
- Übungsaufgaben zur Analysis 2
Additional resources for Reducing Gun Violence in America: Informing Policy with Evidence and Analysis
Killias, M. 1993. ” Canadian Medical Association Journal 148 (10):1721–1725. Kolla, B. , S. S. W. Lineberry. 2011. ” General Hospital Psychiatry 33 (2):191–196. Kubrin, C. , and T. Wadsworth. 2009. ” Social Science Quarterly (90):1203–1227. Firearms and Violent Death in the United States 19 Kung, H. , J. L. Pearson, and X. Lui. 2003. ” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 39 (8):419–426. MAIG (Mayors Against Illegal Guns). 2008. The movement against illegal guns in America. , D. Azrael, and C.
Hemenway. 2007. ” Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection and Critical Care 62 (4):1029–1035. Nock, M. , G. Borges, E. J. Bromet, C. B. Cha, R. C. Kessler, and S. Lee. 2008. ” Epidemiology Reviews 30 (1):133–154. NRC. 2005. National Research Council: Firearms and violence: A critical review. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. , C. Zubritsky, G. Brown, M. Mullahy, and A. Puliafico. 2004. ” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 12 (1):30–36. , F, J. Elgar, F. Brooks, M. de Looze, and K. Rathman.
Drawing causal inferences about the relation between firearm availability and the risk of suicide from existing case-control and ecologic studies has been questioned on the grounds that these studies may not adequately control for the possibility that members of h ouseholds with firearms are inherently more suicidal than members of households without firearms (NRC 2005). Additional cited limitations include the possibility of differential recall (by cases compared with controls) of firearm ownership and comorbid conditions, and reverse causation (whereby suicidal persons purchase firearms with the idea of committing suicide).