By World Bank
The vast majority of the world's negative count without delay or in some way on agriculture. regardless of the robust linkages among broad-based agricultural progress and poverty relief, foreign aid to agriculture sharply declined from the overdue Nineteen Eighties. the necessity to increase agriculture's prominence within the improvement time table hasn't ever been larger. This ebook seeks to articulate the area Bank's Rural procedure on agriculture to the broader improvement group. It offers choice makers with the explanation for aiding agriculture through proposing the teachings realized at the rules, associations, and precedence investments which can maintain pro-poor agricultural progress.
Read or Download Agricultural Growth and the Poor: An Agenda for Development (Directions in Development) PDF
Similar nonprofit organizations & charities books
* pro C++ programmer Matthew Telles indicates builders at any point of expertise easy methods to keep hours by means of enhancing, refactoring, and debugging their code* many of the innovations coated comprise learning asserts, making a entire classification, hiding a mode of a base type, liberating blocks of reminiscence, enforcing an easy locking mechanism, developing debugging macros, checking for error at run-time, discovering and solving reminiscence leaks, and decreasing code complexity* The easy-to-follow, two-column Timesaving thoughts structure makes gaining knowledge of every one timesaver a snap* C++ is one in every of modern-day most generally used programming languages, with compilers provided via Microsoft, Borland, and Code Warrior* This publication is the appropriate significant other to C++ For Dummies, 5th version (0-7645-6852-3)
A step by step primer on making a entire company citizenship programThis instruction manual attracts from the author’s adventure crafting and imposing philanthropic and volunteer techniques with businesses resembling IBM, Exxon, Mobil, 3M, and common generators. the great company Citizen lays out how businesses can maximize this intriguing new development.
Nonprofit corporations carry a different position in society because the nation's moral area. They advertise carrier, goodwill and kindness and serve to higher humanity. like every enterprise, despite the fact that, they could additionally adventure moral indiscretions. the crowd of firms whose sole function during this global is to be stable and to unfold that reliable has but to completely shape an operational code of ethics--a code that promotes humanity as purely the nonprofit quarter can.
- Despite Good Intentions: Why Development Assistance to the Third World Has Failed
- The Globalization of Chinese Companies: Strategies for Conquering International Markets
- The Tax Law of Associations
- Principles of Behavior: An Introduction to Behavior Theory
Extra resources for Agricultural Growth and the Poor: An Agenda for Development (Directions in Development)
Supply Chains: The Response to the Consumer Revolution Systems for procuring and distributing food have been transformed by food safety concerns and the related expansion of domestic and global markets for higher-value products. Higher-value products present a range of technical challenges in production and processing. They also present numerous institutional challenges for coordinating activities along the market chain, meeting quality standards, and accessing market information. ” Supermarkets, for example, were once on the fringes of food marketing in developing countries, but now they account for 45 to 75 percent of national food retail sales in six Latin American countries, 33 to 63 percent in Southeast and East Asia, and 55 percent in South Africa (Reardon, Timmer, and Berdegue 2003).
The private sector has little commercial incentive to invest in technologies for small-scale farmers, while public research organizations require access to the new tools if they are to serve these farmers. • Patenting products of public research: Public research organizations might need to seek proprietary protection of research findings to ensure that they remain available to the poor and to use as bargaining chips in acquiring proprietary technologies, especially new tools of biotechnology from the private sector.
The strategies reflect a three-pronged approach to poverty reduction— increasing economic opportunity, facilitating empowerment, and reducing vulnerability. Sources: IFAD 2004; Kelly and Byerlee 2003; World Bank 2001. THE ROLE OF AGRICULTURAL GROWTH 19 that follow will provide much of the detail needed to understand the true dimensions of this challenge and the wealth of approaches available to meet it. Chapter 2 will begin by taking a closer look at the forces that are bringing about profound change in agriculture and that must be taken into account when making decisions about agricultural strategies, policies, institutions, and investments.