By Indermit S. Gill, Todd Pugatch
In 'At the Frontlines of improvement' former global financial institution kingdom administrators recount their studies, either as managers of the area Bank's courses in international fiscal hotspots of the Nineteen Nineties in addition to all through their careers in improvement economics. those essays element, between many tales of improvement within the Nineties, how China and India lifted hundreds of thousands of thousands out of poverty, whereas Russia collapsed; how Bosnia and Herzegovina and Mozambique remade their war-ravaged economies; and the way Thailand, Turkey, and Argentina fell into monetary problem. those amazing tales, informed in first-person by way of the rustic administrators who have been there to witness them, offer candid exams of improvement within the 1990s'what succeeded, what failed, and what classes emerged.
This publication is a part of a bigger attempt undertaken through the realm financial institution to appreciate the improvement adventure of the Nineties, a unprecedented eventful decade. all of the project's 3 volumes serves a special goal. 'Economic progress within the Nineteen Nineties' presents complete research of the decade's improvement adventure, whereas 'Development demanding situations within the Nineteen Nineties' deals insights at the functional matters confronted through policymakers.
Read or Download At the Frontlines of Development: Reflections from the World Bank (Lessons from Experience) (Lessons from Experience) PDF
Best nonprofit organizations & charities books
* professional C++ programmer Matthew Telles indicates builders at any point of expertise how you can store hours via enhancing, refactoring, and debugging their code* the various options coated comprise learning asserts, making a whole category, hiding a style of a base classification, liberating blocks of reminiscence, imposing an easy locking mechanism, developing debugging macros, checking for blunders at run-time, discovering and solving reminiscence leaks, and decreasing code complexity* The easy-to-follow, two-column Timesaving concepts layout makes getting to know each one timesaver a snap* C++ is one in every of cutting-edge most generally used programming languages, with compilers provided through Microsoft, Borland, and Code Warrior* This publication is the correct significant other to C++ For Dummies, 5th variation (0-7645-6852-3)
A step by step primer on making a finished company citizenship programThis guide attracts from the author’s adventure crafting and enforcing philanthropic and volunteer suggestions with businesses equivalent to IBM, Exxon, Mobil, 3M, and basic generators. the nice company Citizen lays out how businesses can maximize this interesting new pattern.
Nonprofit businesses carry a unique position in society because the nation's moral zone. They advertise carrier, goodwill and kindness and serve to raised humanity. like every company, even though, they could additionally event moral indiscretions. the crowd of firms whose sole goal during this international is to be stable and to unfold that strong has but to totally shape an operational code of ethics--a code that promotes humanity as merely the nonprofit quarter can.
- Business and Sustainability: Between Government Pressure and Self-Regulation
- Managing Voluntary Sport Organisations
- Agricultural Trade Facilitation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Structure and Dynamics of the European Market for Horticultural Products and Opportunities for SSA Exporters (World Bank Working Papers, No. 63)
- Strategic Management for Nonprofit Organizations: Theory and Cases
- Private Funds, Public Purpose: Philanthropic Foundations in International Perspective
- Soziale Investitionen: Interdisziplinäre Perspektiven
Extra info for At the Frontlines of Development: Reflections from the World Bank (Lessons from Experience) (Lessons from Experience)
That partition needs to be reversed if we are to do a more effective job of internalizing the needs of private sector development in country programs. Although there have been some token efforts to strengthen the integration of the Bank and IFC, if anything the drift is toward increasing separation as IFC expands relative to the Bank and as the IFC’s corporate profile becomes more prominent. From the perspective of a country director, the case seems overwhelming for integrating the strategic dimension of the Bank’s and IFC’s work in a country and putting it under the purview of a single country director.
We scrutinize the import needs in great detail and calculate that the projected quantities of imported bags for cement are double what would be required for the expected production of the public cement enterprise. The “strategy” seems to be one of muddling through until some exogenous factor propels the economy forward. DHAKA, BANGLADESH, October 1972, on a plane returning from my first visit to independent Bangladesh. The sheer density of the population, the difficult physical environment that raises the cost of construction and infrastructure, the limited resources other than water—these seem overwhelming problems.
The essays in this volume are bold attempts to sort out the lessons learned about policies, politics, and principles during this pilgrimage. They shine light on the thought processes of formerly faceless officials, many of whom are still struggling to determine which of their former tenets of faith are central and which should be amended or discarded. There is no longer a sacred text, if it ever existed. Many express a sort of repentance, acknowledging their mistakes and hoping that they, and others, will learn from them.