By Edward L. Schneider and John W. Rowe (Eds.)
Meant for researchers and graduate scholars within the biology of growing old, this e-book presents a basic evaluation of biomedical gerontology and an replace to prior versions. It makes a speciality of 3 significant assets of impression on growing old: organic, mental and social
Read or Download Handbook of the Biology of Aging PDF
Best geriatrics books
Over the last 20 years there was loads of overseas, really good examine job involved in threat elements and prevention suggestions for falls in older humans. This booklet offers healthiness care employees with an in depth research of the newest advancements within the sector and is helping bridge the space among medical magazine articles and basic texts.
Reprint of: Cytogenetic and Genome examine 2004, Vol. a hundred and five, No. 2-4 the home mouse holds a distinct position between version organisms, representing an necessary instrument for plenty of investigators, rather in biomedical examine. Mouse genetics encompasses approximately a hundred years of study and culminated within the ebook of the mouse genome series in 2002, from which the assumption for this detailed factor arose.
The previous Age Psychiatry instruction manual offers a finished yet concise evaluate of psychiatric, clinical and useful concerns that could come up in the speciality. The publication is written in a simple assimilated structure, excellent to be used within the health facility and at the ward. The outdated Age Psychiatry instruction manual contains chapters on easy background and psychological country exam, particular psychiatric syndromes and prescribing for aged psychiatric sufferers.
Administration of melanoma within the Older sufferer, by means of Drs. Arash Naeim, David Reuben, and Patricia Ganz, bargains the assistance you want to successfully diagnose, refer, and deal with melanoma in geriatric sufferers. you will see the right way to supply potent melanoma screening; refer your sufferers to the suitable oncologist; care for comorbidities, frailties, and different issues; navigate end-of-life concerns; and lots more and plenty extra.
- Chronic Pain and Addiction (Advances in Psychosomatic Medicine)
- Exercise, Nutrition and the Older Woman: Wellness for Women Over Fifty (Wellness for Women)
- Drug Discovery and Development for Alzheimer's Disease (2000)
- Personality in adulthood: a five-factor theory perspective
- Ethics in Community-Based Elder Care
- Socioeconomic Differences in Old Age Mortality (The Springer Series on Demographic Methods and Population Analysis)
Extra info for Handbook of the Biology of Aging
1. The protozoa have shown the importance of DNA and RNA processing in the regulation of developmental events. The discovery that RNA functions as an enzyme, the ribozyme, opens a new research arena to discover how splicing of RNA can affect cell viability and longevity. Aging in fungi is believed to be due to alteration of DNA or RNA processing. 2. DNA processing mutants in ciliates provided a molecular basis for cytoplasmic control of gene expression. Thus, cells with the same genotype can express different phenotypes in response to the cytoplasmic directives.
Amicro nucleate strains exist naturally and can be generated in the laboratory with great dif ficulty using mutagenesis in Tetrahymena and laser surgery in Paramecium and Stylonychia. It is not clear how the immortal amicronucleates arose in Tetrahymena (Nanney, 1974). The fact that amicronucleate strains are viable cannot be considered evidence that the micronuclei have no function (Ammermann, 1988) since it was demonstrated that ami cronucleate Tetrahymena contain DNA sequences in the macronucleus which are normally present in the micronucleus (Karrer, Stein-Gavens, & Allitto, 1984; SteinGavens, Wells, &Karrer, 1987).
1984a). Analysis of germinal aging in Paramecium caudatum by micronuclear transplantation. Experimental Cell Research, 136, 407-415. , &Hiwatashi, K. (1984b). Resistance of germinal nucleus to aging in Paramecium : Evidence obtained by micronuclear trans plantation. Mechanisms of Aging and Development, 26, 51-66. Karrer, K. (1986). The nuclear DNA of holotrichous ciliates. In J. G. ), The molecular biology of ciliated protozoa (pp. 8 5 110). Orlando, FL: Academic Press. , 8k Allitto, B. A. (1984).